PERQ-1 Errors
R. D. Davis
2006-10-07 19:58:20 UTC
Anyone have any ideas about the following? It's been years since
this, and I haven't used that PERQ-1 since, but just out of
curiosity...

Scavenger can't seem to read any blocks and wants to mark just about
everything as incorrigible.

Details correctly shows all of the partitions on the hard drive, but
also shows, uinder IOError counts:

1 for can't find track zero (-30)
12 for disk recalibrate done (-29)
14 for Time out error (-27)
24 floppy write protected (-21
464 for Data CRC errror (-10)
45 for physical header CRC error (-8)
786 for address error (-7)

Unable to boot without using boot and run floppies.

Often stays stick at 10, but will eventually reach 157 at times, or
stays stuck on 151.

Machine was allowed to remain on for quite some time.

Disk is noisier than normal, some scraping sounds (heads against platters?)
Sometimes makes a sort of fluttering sound
--
R. D. Davis 410-744-4900 Beware & halt the National Animal ID System (NAIS)!
www.rddavis.org http://nonais.org http://www.libertyark.org
Dangling Spiders Electronic Music Studio http://www.stopanimalid.org
skeezics
2006-10-08 03:18:13 UTC
Post by R. D. Davis
Scavenger can't seem to read any blocks and wants to mark just about
everything as incorrigible.
Details correctly shows all of the partitions on the hard drive, but
1 for can't find track zero (-30)
12 for disk recalibrate done (-29)
14 for Time out error (-27)
24 floppy write protected (-21
464 for Data CRC errror (-10)
45 for physical header CRC error (-8)
786 for address error (-7)
I think you definitely need to run the disktest "reformat" on that
drive. You were the one who provided me with a copy of the "special"
fixboot floppy, I think, that had that program on it, so I hope you
still have a copy. ;-)
Post by R. D. Davis
Unable to boot without using boot and run floppies.
Often stays stick at 10, but will eventually reach 157 at times, or
stays stuck on 151.
At least, though, you can get the machine to boot. As described in
email/reply to the other post, mine are both stuck with similar
problems - but can't seem to boot from floppy at all.
Post by R. D. Davis
Machine was allowed to remain on for quite some time.
Yeah, I would always let PERQ-1 warm up for at least 2-3 minutes; it
has a built-in delay anyway, where it waits for the drive to get up to
speed and stabilize. How to confirm that? Borrow my dad's engine
timing light? :-) There must be a "ready" signal on that 50-pin
stripline connector that is asserted when the drive is at the proper
RPMs and waiting for commands... time to break out the schematics
again...
Post by R. D. Davis
Disk is noisier than normal, some scraping sounds (heads against platters?)
Sometimes makes a sort of fluttering sound
The old Shugarts were always a bit noisy, but "scraping sounds" is
worrisome... both of mine came up with a slight groan, but I think the
belts (amazingly) are fine and the heads appear to have been in the
right place when I last "bye /off"'ed both machines. I'm hopeful that
since the mechanical parts work (I took great care to keep these
machines in a stable environment, away from dust and magnetic fields,
and they're remarkably clean) then a diagnosis and repair of the IOB is
still _possible_, at least.

-- Chris